So you’re a backpacker, you’ve finished the East Coast of Australia, found yourself in some hippie commune in Byron Bay. But you’ve ran out of money, reached your chosen city and settled into a shared house and got some crappy sales job. Who says you can’t bake on a budget? Try these super tasty, super healthy muffins to kickstart your day!
Best part is they are cheap as chips! Costing about $3 for 20 muffins and by using Frozen Berries, you save even more!
Useful Tip: Remember to bake the muffins with the berries still frozen to keep them super juicy! By thawing them the colour of the berries will spread and they can get a bit mushy!
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2 Large eggs
- 250ml Low Fat milk
- 200g caster sugar
- 400g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 100g Dark Chocolate Chunks
- 100g of Frozen Mixed Berries
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line 2 muffin trays with paper muffin cases. In a large bowl beat the eggs lightly with a whist.
- Add the oil and milk and beat until just combined then add the sugar and whisk.
- Sift in the flour and salt (and baking powder if using) then mix until just smooth. Stir in the frozen berries and chocolate chips, don’t worry if the berries make the batter a funny colour its just because they are frozen they will look beautiful when they are baked, I promise!
- Fill muffin cases two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 mins.
- Until risen, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. If the trays will not fit on 1 shelf, swap the shelves around after 15 mins of cooking. Leave the muffins in the tin to cool for a few mins and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- MUNCH AWAY BEAUTIES